Paragon FiberFuse-16 Glass Kiln
The kiln has a lid safety switch, which means the power to the elements is automatically turned off when you open the lid. The kiln operates on a common 120 volt household outlet and uses only 1,800 watts. That is the wattage of many hair dryers used in homes throughout America. The heat is safely kept inside the kiln even at its highest temperatures. The kiln uses efficient ceramic fiber insulation and is easy to operate.
Exciting Projects You Can Make
Create vibrant, color-saturated fused and slumped glass in the 120 volt FiberFuse-16 ceramic fiber kiln. Own one of these kilns, and you can experiment with new glass designs to your heart’s content. Use the FiberFuse-16 to experiment with reactive glass colors, screen printing on glass, and glass clay. Even fire decals. You will enjoy painting not just with liquid colors but with glass frit and stringers. Enjoy the element of surprise that glass offers.
Ideal for Teachers
The FiberFuse-16 fires up to 1700°F (926°C). It is suitable for teaching glass fusing seminars, because it is portable, it plugs into a standard household outlet, and it ships by UPS.
Light Weight Ceramic Fiber
Ceramic fiber, the space-age insulation in the FiberFuse-16, absorbs less heat than firebrick kilns do. For this reason the FiberFuse-16 fires and cools faster than larger firebrick kilns. Use the FiberFuse-16 to fire small, quick projects at art centers, college classes, and even engineering laboratories. Test batches of glass pendants or earrings before making large quantities in your main studio kilns. Once you own the FiberFuse-16, test-firing new ideas will be more convenient than ever.
The high-tech ceramic fiber lid, walls, and bottom are 2” thick. The sides are wrapped in a protective steel case. A deluxe steel top with welded corners covers the lid. The lightweight lid is easy to lift with one hand. The wooden lid handle stays cool even during extended firing and annealing times.
Surface-Mounted Sidewall Heating Elements
The FiberFuse-16 features new surface-mounted sinusoidal “wavy” elements. This eliminates element grooves, thereby increasing the efficiency of the wall insulation for faster heating. Heat distribution in the FiberFuse-16 is so even that the kiln can fire glass without lid elements.
The built-in stand, complete with mar-proof rubber feet, raises the kiln off the work surface. Raise the kiln to a convenient height by placing it on a fire-proof steel table.
Heavy Duty Electrical Components
The control panel is slotted for air circulation, so the electrical components stay cool even during long temperature holds. Turn off the kiln with the convenient toggle switch. Costly heavy-gauge nickel-plated copper wiring is covered with high temperature glass-braided insulation. And, of course, the FiberFuse-16 is made in America by skilled craftsmen and women at our Mesquite, Texas factory. We are proud to support the American worker.
The Optional Deluxe Mercury Relay
Relays turn on the kiln’s heating elements. Order your new kiln with the quiet, reliable mercury relay instead of the standard mechanical relay especially if you will anneal glass for long periods. The life of a mercury relay has been measured in millions of on/off cycles. The optional mercury relay far outlasts the standard mechanical relay. A mercury relay will turn your FiberFuse-16 into a small industrial kiln. For more information, scroll down the page past the kiln specifications.
A Lid Safety Switch is Standard
The FiberFuse-16 ships with a safety switch that shuts off the power to the elements when the lid is opened. The temperature controller remains powered with the lid open and automatically resumes firing when you close the lid.
- On/off toggle switch. Shut off power to the controller when not in use.
- Built-in steel base with mar-proof rubber feet
- Light-weight ceramic fiber lid for easy loading
- A steel cover with welded corners protects the entire top of the lid.
- The control panel is slotted for air circulation.
- Surface-mounted sinusoidal elements eliminate element grooves and therefore take maximum advantage of the wall insulation.
- No special wiring is needed. Runs on standard outlet.
- Fast-response, exposed-tip 1/4” wide thermocouple
- Wooden lid handle stays cool.
- Mechanical relay or optional deluxe mercury relay
- Sloped switch box for easy operation of the digital controller
- Made in the USA
- Ships by convenient UPS.
- Colorful 28-page kiln instruction manual (In addition, the kiln also comes with a separate controller manual.)
The Amazing Digital Controller
The FiberFuse-16 comes with a user-friendly 3-key Sentry Xpress 3-key controller which includes two firing modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. The solid-state controller continually monitors the firing so you can spend your time productively without closely watching the kiln. The sealed controller touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
Program the firing schedule that is just right for your projects. The controller turns itself off after the firing is completed. (Please note, however, that you should be near the kiln at the expected shutoff time.) The FiberFuse-16 fires automatically at the rates and temperatures you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time during programming.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon Glass Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C.
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- A Quick Start Guide to place near your kiln as a handy reference
Support After the Sale
At Paragon, phone calls that we receive during business hours are answered by a live person at the factory. We are here to help you long after the sale should you ever need it. We are open from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Standard Time Monday through Thursday. We also have a wide network of independent repair technicians throughout the U.S.
Low Emission Manufacturing
The FiberFuse-16 is finished in a durable high temperature, water-base paint. We chose water-base paint because of the low emissions during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution. Paragon uses an energy provider that produces some of its electricity on Texas wind farms. Using pollution-free renewable energy from natural resources that will never run out helps preserve our environment for future generations.
The Magic of Owning a Kiln
At high temperatures, magical things happen to glass. Ask glass artists. They will tell you that the kiln offers many serendipitous surprises. Even after many years as a glass artist, you will still enjoy opening your FiberFuse-16 to see your new creations.
Thermocouple with “special limit” wire
The thermocouple senses temperature inside the kiln. It is the small rod that extends into the firing chamber. The ¼” wide Type-K, 14-gauge, exposed-tip thermocouple is made with special-limit wire for superior accuracy. The exposed tip gives the controller a fast response time for even temperatures during holds. The thermocouple is made in America to our exacting standards.
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
|Dimensions||78.7 × 94 × 53.3 cm|
Product enquiry about FiberFuse-16
- Bronze Clay
- China Painting
- Crystalline Glazes
- Decals Dolls
- Fast Firings
- Glass Casting
- Glass Fusing
- Glass Painting
- Glass Slumping
- Glaze Testing
- Low-Fire Ceramics
- Porcelain and Stoneware
- Silver Clay
SKU: S0743-1Read more