Pure Tung Oil 100ml
Pure Tung Oil – 100 ml.
- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
100 ml bottle of Pure Tung Oil.
Our tung oil is pure, containing no urethanes, solvents, or drying agents.
In use it can be diluted in a 1:1 ratio with a solvent like turpentine or citrus solvents, to reduce the viscosity and aid in penetration of wood, especially on the first coat.
Tung oil will dry (polymerise) fastest in warm, dry weather.
We recommend using the following procedure for finishing a wood knife handle with tung oil:
- Sand your handle to your desired grit finish. We recommend 400 grit minimum.
- Burnish the handle with 0000 steel wool.
- Wipe the handle thoroughly with a soft cloth.
- Apply a thin layer of tung oil to the whole handle and rub it in – a few drops go a long way.
- Leave the handle for half an hour, then wipe off the excess oil with paper towel.
- Leave the handle overnight to dry.
- Wipe down the handle with paper towel, then repeat steps 2 through 6.
- Repeat the oiling, drying, and burnishing steps at least 3 times total on porous wood. Fewer applications may be necessary for non-porous fine-grained wood. More applications may be necessary on especially porous woods.
- After the final drying and burnishing cycle the handle can be left at a satin finish, or lightly buffed for a gloss finish.
To test whether the handle oiling is complete, after a drying and burnishing cycle wipe down the handle with a damp cloth. If fully penetrated and sealed there should be no change in the smooth feeling of the handle. If not yet fully sealed, wood fibres will absorb water and the handle will feel rough or furry. Burnishing with 0000 steel wool cuts off these fibres. Repeat the oiling, drying, and burnishing process until the handle is fully sealed and cured.
|Dimensions||3.9 × 3.9 × 11 cm|